We call for all lawyer organizations, human rights defenders, UN, EU and COE officials and concerned individuals to urgent action regarding the arbitrary arrest and denial of crucial medical treatment in prison for a terminally ill fellow lawyer, Mustafa Aydin, in Turkey.
A. JUDICIAL PROCEDURE
- Mr Aydin, 46, is a member of the Istanbul Bar Association,
- He was taken into custody on August 16, 2016,
- After 13-day police custody, he has been arrested on August 29, 2016 by the Istanbul Peace Criminal Judgeship.
- The indictment against him was submitted to the court on November 10, 2017.
- On June 27, 2018, Mr. Aydin will be on trial before the Istanbul 34 Assize Court for the first time.
B. HIS and HIS SON’S HEALTH SITUATION
- Mustafa Aydin has been diagnosed with prostate cancer, hernia and he can hardly walk.
- He needs urgent cancer surgery and intensive care under hygienic conditions.
- Mustafa Aydin has a 10-year-old son with Down syndrome who is highly dependent on the emotional support of his father.
As of 31.12.2017, there are 232.179 arrestees and convicts in Turkish prisons, and it is %10,8 over of the total capacity of Turkish prisons. Due to overcapacity, Mr Aydin has not been received sufficient and timely medical care; he has been made wait for the necessary surgical operation, it is still unclear when or if the surgical cancer operation will take place.
As the Arrested Lawyers Initiative, we urge
a)national and international bar associations,
b) human rights organizations,
c) Ms Dunja Mijatovic, Commissioner for Human Rights of the Council of Europe,
d) Mr Diego Garcia-Sayan, UN Special Rapporteur on the Independence of Judges and Lawyers,
e) Members of the European Parliament and the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe,
i. to contact and advise the Turkish Ministry of Justice for the immediate release of terminally ill prisoner Mustafa Aydin and to respect human rights and the rule of law;
ii. to visit Mr Aydin in prison,
iii. to follow and monitor his hearing dated 27 June 2018;
iv. to advise the Minister of Justice Mr Abdulhamit Gul to release him and allow the crucial treatment of Mustafa Aydin.
We will highly appreciate any support coming from the international organizations for our colleague lawyer Mustafa Aydin to ensure that he receives necessary medical treatment.
With our sincere Regards,
The Arrested Lawyer Initiative
For more information please contact with us.
Categories: Today in Crackdown