Lawyers’ Rights Watch Canada send a letter to the Minister of Justice of Turkey with respect to lawyers Esra Uymaz Saral, Ozge Elif Hendekci and Büşra Erdal Cinkara, all of whom are women lawyers who have been imprisoned, and urged Turkey to release them immediately.
LRWC emphasised that detentions of the two infant children of Ozge Elif Hendekci and Busra Erdal Cinkara constituted a grave violation of the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC).
LRWC urged the Government of Turkey to:
- Immediately and unconditionally release from imprisonment lawyers Esra Uymaz Saral,Ozge Elif Hendekci and Busra Erdal Cinkara with the two children;
- Immediately release from imprisonment all other pregnant women and women (and theirchildren) who have children under the age of six years;
- Put an end to the practice of imprisoning pregnant women and women with infant children;
- Put an end to the practice of charging Turkish citizens with criminal offenses based simply on their use or possession of the ByLock application; and
- Ensure in all circumstances respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms in accordance with international human rights standards and international instruments.